The Light of The World Community centre is a not-for-profit Registered Charity. We are based in West Bowling Bradford since November 1997.
The work of the organisation started in the home of its founder Rev. S. C. Sangster.
Supported by 12 volunteers they set out to raise funds by making and selling bedding, rugs, and bric-a- brac over a 12 year period, and managed to raise funds that went towards the purchase of the property on which the building now stands.
We consulted with the community organisations, the local primary schools and businesses in the area, and carried out surveys to identify the most urgent needs, and to prioritise the development of services and facilities around those needs that would contribute to improving the lives of children, young people and families, and community development.
Our efforts were supported with a grant from the National Lotteries Charities Board, and English Partners to start up and employ staff over a 3 years period.
We were able to set up the following services:
- Day-care nursery for children aged 0-5years
- After School and Holiday Care for children aged 5-13years
- Homework Club
- Youth Club
- Elderly Luncheon Club
- Summer Play Schemes
- Parents and Toddlers
- Training and Education and advice services in partnership with Bradford college
- Cyber Café facility
The services were set up in line with the organisation’s aims which are:
- The advancement of social and community welfare
- The relief of poverty
- The relief of sickness
- The advancement of education, and care in the community
- Community cohesion and crime reduction
- Provide care for the elderly, children and young people and vulnerable adults
- Counselling and advice service
- Raise funds and receive contributions to sustain the various project within the community centre
Twelve new jobs were created, plus extensive volunteering and experiential learning placements.
The Founder and CEO, Directors, Project Manager and designated members of staff are responsible for the day to day operations of the projects. The organisation’s finances are examined annually by a registered accountant.
What makes this organisation unique:
- We provide a one stop service that reduces the need for parents to travel to more than one venue to access services, and collect their children.
- We are located close to all the main transport routes in and out of Bradford and the city centre.
- Our services are sustained by word of mouth, recommendations by service users, children and young people and parents who have benefited from the services and facilities within the community centre.
- The nursery has been awarded the gold award for dental hygiene for 4 consecutive years.
- We have formed good partnerships and collaborative working relationships with local and district wide organisations to maximise our service delivery.
- The organisation won best employer of the year award in 2007.
- We are an Ofsted registered GOOD Childcare provider.
- We are a centre of practice excellence and a hub for community development from the cradle to the grave.
- Our financial accounting system ensures that all funds received are expended in line with the terms and conditions of the funders agreement, and full reports are submitted to funders at the end of the grant periods.
- The Light of The World Community Centre relies on the goodwill of funders and donors to support the services in this deprived area of Bradford.